|« DMN - McCall next chancellor of Texas State Universities||Gov. Mark White on the Charles Dean Hood case »|
For many election day watchers, one of the more interesting contests turned out to be the County Commissioners, Precinct 2 race.
Challenger and former Plano City Councilwoman Cheryl Williams out-polled 29 yr incumbent Jerry Hoagland by 9 percentage points. However, her 45.8% was not enough to avoid a run-off with Commissioner Hoagland.
The Collin County Observer visited with both Cheryl Williams and Jerry Hoagland this weekend. Both graciously allowed me into their home to record a series of interviews. I hope you find them interesting and helpful.
In the first segment, we talk about roads and mobility:
I have a correction for you: the rail line in Denton is not heavy. It's a light rail line.
Also, you mentioned that Denton County busses pass you every day on your way to work to Downtown Dallas. I was under the impression that you live in Collin County and that you take the HOV lane on Central Expressway.
How does a Denton County bus pass you on your way to work? I'm just asking because that would mean I-35 has a dedicated lane for busses so they pass cars. Is that the case?
The Observer responds:
I called it 'heavy', perhaps incorrectly, since the A-Train will be using diesel locomotives from the TRE.
I take Central south to LBJ west to Stemmons south. I see the DCTA buses on Stemmons.
Sometimes they pass me, sometimes I pass them... depends on whose lane is winning.
Truth be told - I didn't see that much difference between their responses. In other words, I can't
Jerry is, at least on camera, a bit more polished, but I think Cheryl does have a comparable understanding to Jerry's, which is a lot since she hasn't been in office for 30 years.
What it boils down to for me is:
1) Time in office. Whatever you say (career politician or public servant) - Jerry is one. Although, I'm not sure I would consider 30 years of voting yourself a raise and getting paid way more than a comparable private sector job is exactly a servant to the public. The truth is, even if Jerry left office today, and his wife too, they would draw well over $200k a year in retirement. It bothers me that someone can retire as a 'public servant' and collect $100k annually for the rest of their life. Soldiers yes, commissioners definately not!
2) Candor. Jerry constantly makes Collin County look bad. From off the cuff remarks that reveal his personal prejudices and ignorance, to arrogant votes year after year for personal raises, Jerry just doesn't make us look good. Besides, after January, if Jerry won, the entire court would be middle aged to older white men. Collin County isn't that anymore, and at a minimum, we need a woman to serve on the court.
Jerry has done some good for the county. But 30 years is way past his prime, and its time for him to move on with his life. It was time long ago. There is more out there than lunch meetings and Monday court. Jerry has spent his entire career spending taxpayer dollars and collecting taxpayer money through his own paycheck. AN ENTIRE CAREER.
The average career is somewhere between 30-40 years. Even when calculated at 40 years, that means 75% of Jerry's career has been spent as an elected official. It isn't right for Ralph Hall. It isn't right for governors and senators, and its not right for Collin County.
1. IF you are a "total moron" as has been proposed... how does one get re-elected repeatedly?
2. Are ANY of you in reach of a dictionary or a thesaurus... check one out!
3. Eletected Officials are just that...kids, wives, dogs, are NOT fair game.
4. READ A PAPER! Mrs. Hoagland worked for the District Clerk and retired... how many yrs ago? Over 55% of county employees ARE MARRIED TO ANOTHER.
5. YOU HATE ALL INCUMBENTS? ALL TAX SUCKING LEACHERS?
a. Hate Terry Box? Best Sheriff in TX? He has been living off taxpayers since his SR year of high school...not a fan?
b. How about Joe Jaynes? According to you--he's a MAJOR LEACH... started out in law enforcement; taught College; County Commish extaordinare...he a leach too?
c. YOU dont like Florence Shapiro? Is she a leach or a "dedicated public servant" because she's "Plano"?
d. WTH is your problem with Sam Johnson? A true patriot; POW, survivor, and not worthy of your exhale--SHAME ON YOU!
e. Not a fan of Ralph either? See above.
f. Keith Self has "lived off the taxpayor" for how long? IS that how you treat our fighting men and women of the US Military? People extremely YOUNG dying for your right to be a jerk in public? Or do you have a problem with the 1st Amendment in general? I'm sure there's someone in Plano "working on it".
As usual--great job Bill... sorry you have become the ground zero of all the things wrong with the Republican Party. Sure your fans are loving this; wish mine would GROW UP!
What is all of this vitriol in reference to?
I always find it funny when someone criticizes spelling, then turns around and misspells. "Eletected"....really? Plus, it might be easier to read and understand if it wasn't just rambling.
I don't know even where to start, and I'm not even sure if your comments were directed at me, but just to tick you off:
I THINK JERRY HOAGLAND'S DOG IS UGLY AND DISHONEST!
P.S. I hope Jerry actually has a dog, or I'll feel super silly :)
Comments are closed for this post.