« Candidate forums scheduledClips from the Collin County GOP Chair candidates forum »

Comment from: Collin County Attorney [Visitor] Email
I knew the Commissioner's Court could not prevent the DA's office from making this expenditure. They can kick and scream all they want - but the law does not allow for them to interfere.

That said, I believe it is a foolish use of funds, I want real law enforcement officers protecting me in the courthouse, and frankly, spending the funds on DA office furniture is a much better use of these funds than equipping these investigators to be commandos.
01/24/10 @ 17:41
Comment from: anon [Visitor]
If these people want to be tough guys so badly, they should all join the Infantry. I promise you they would be cured of that desire very quickly.

This is not their job and they are not qualified to do this. Military weapons can bring a lot of damage very quickly.

And by the way, this is our money, not his.

But they don't want to look like a "Three Stooges" operation.
01/24/10 @ 18:01
Comment from: Novaline Varner [Visitor] Email
So far, the ONLY casualty from violence at the Bloomdale Rd. courthouse has been by friendly fire. During one of the DA's commando training exercise. District Judge John Roach, Jr. was accidentally shot in the face with a blank. He was shot by a volunteer civilian, who had no business with a real gun, but was given the gun for role play by law enforcement personnel who should have know better. But they don't want to be known as some kind of "Three Stooges' operation. Truth is [redacted by Bill because I see no point in printing an officer's name in this context] the Collin County Sheriff's Office, organized, planned, and authorized the Civilian to have a blank pistol in training. So, if name calling is necessary; I would suggest you direct it toward the law enforcement agency responsible for the shooting of District Judge John Roach, Jr.
01/25/10 @ 14:05
Comment from: bill [Member] Email
Chief Investigator Varner,

Several sources I trust contest your version of the incident. I hate to be put in a position where I can not completely put my faith in the veracity of a law enforcement officer, but I find myself there now.

Unfortunately, I've lost confidence in your ability to shoot straight with the whole truth. I hope that time proves me wrong, and if it does I'll be the first to apologize, but meanwhile "I'll call them as I see them".

As far as name calling goes, you first mentioned The Three Stooges, I simply enjoy the comparison.

Bill

01/25/10 @ 22:03
Comment from: RD [Visitor] Email
This is just another media stunt where politics trumps common sense. When John Roach is replaced, the equipment will be transferred to the Sheriff's Department who has no problems handling situations at the courthouse.
01/26/10 @ 10:07
Comment from: No Incumbents 2010 [Visitor]
I would like someone more knowledgeable than myself to explain why it isn't a waste of money for the DA to have these weapons and equipment. The Sheriff is in charge of courthouse security, right? Why doesn't the DA's office return to the county treasury any extra forfeiture funds? This would be better than wasting the money for SWAT gear. I have never heard of a DA's office having its own SWAT team. The commissioner's court should play hardball (since they fund the DA's office) and demand that the money be returned to the county instead of wasted, or else the DA's budget will be cut.
01/28/10 @ 13:33
Comment from: Are you kidding me? [Visitor]
I heard that after all of the fighting and drama over the $25,000 to supply Roach's SWAT team, the DA's office will NOT be the 1st responders for any courthouse security issues. Is this correct! If so, why were these weapons purchased? How will these weapons be used? Is this true? Why did we waste so much time, effort and money debating this issue? If this is correct, will it be possible to return the equipment and refund the counties money? It would ease my mind knowing the county SWAT team would be the 1st responders handeling any security issues. Anyone, please let me know if this is correct?
02/02/10 @ 15:59
Comment from: Mannie [Visitor] Email
The County Commissioners may not be able to stop the DA from spending the forfeiture funds, but they can cut his budget by a corresponding amount.
10/26/10 @ 13:12
Comment from: Phelps [Visitor] · http://phelps.donotremove.net
If we REALLY wanted to stop this idiocy, we should do it at the source, and stop letting these petty tyrants keep the spoils from forfeitures.

Put it in the state general fund.
10/29/10 @ 15:03
Comment from: sihhat [Visitor] Email · http://www.sihhat.net/
they can cut his budget by a corresponding amount.
11/14/10 @ 16:50