« Early voting continues at record rate!Videos of debate between Joe Jaynes & Victor Manuel »

Comment from: Randy [Visitor] Email
It's good to know that Rush Limbaugh isn't as potent as he thinks he is--especially around these parts.
10/27/08 @ 08:07
Comment from: Thomas Walters [Visitor] Email
Bill,

When asked to explain your reasons for voting for Obama, you tell me that this site is for local issues only and not for national issues, yet here you are discussing a national issue.

How hypocritical of you.
10/27/08 @ 08:27
Comment from: bill [Member] Email
Thomas,

Local voting patterns and projections are not national issues.

You need to get over yourself, otherwise people will think you are a tiresome bore.

Hint: When I get testy, a piece of pie and a cup of joe works nicely.

Bill
10/27/08 @ 08:36
Comment from: Collin County Citizen [Visitor] Email
Bill,

I think your analysis, while I disagree with some of it, is VERY interesting and a great subject to debate. Keep it up!
10/27/08 @ 08:44
Comment from: anon [Visitor]
Excellent analysis. Obviously we don't know for certain but informed dialog is the only way to find out.

The Republican party is in trouble, not because of the DEmocrats, but because of its own behavior. The only way to have a clean Republican party is a a vibrant opponent. I think the Democratic party is missing some great opportunities but we have a start.
10/27/08 @ 10:23
Comment from: Devin [Visitor] Email
I know 2 people who voted Obama b/c of Rush. Didn't quite work though.
because old Rush thought that McCain would easily defeat the black candidate.
Good call Rush! Even if McCain pulls it off it won't be easily.
10/27/08 @ 11:01
Comment from: Anon [Visitor] Email
My husband and I were two of those 625 who voted in both the 2004 and 2006 primary. This was the first time I ever voted in a Democratic primary and that is because I support Barack Obama, not because I wanted to try to rig the election per Rush's request...

I voted for Obama last Monday in early votign as well! We definitely had a choice this time, one that has swayed my household at least!
10/27/08 @ 12:03
Comment from: bill [Member] Email
NOTE:

I have corrected a factual misstatement in this posting. I had erroneously written that Rush called for Republicans to vote for Obama. That was wrong. In fact, he called for conservatives and Republicans to vote for Hillary Clinton, in the hopes that she would "bloody up" the Democratic front runner.

I apologize for the error.

Bill
10/27/08 @ 12:32
Comment from: Thomas Walters [Visitor] Email
"The Republican party is in trouble, not because of the DEmocrats, but because of its own behavior. The only way to have a clean Republican party is a a vibrant opponent."

You realize that the Democrats have held power over the Congress for two years, right? The Congress that has the lowest approval rating in history, lower than President Bush?

In regards to Collin County, we have a 4.8% unemployment rate right now. If you want to make it like California's 7.7% with their $14 billion deficit, vote Democrat.
10/27/08 @ 12:41
Comment from: Thomas Walters [Visitor] Email

Deleted by Bill
10/27/08 @ 13:39
Comment from: anon [Visitor] Email
Thomas,

Thank you for your thoughts. My comments were directed at the situation in Collin County.

Of course, most people who live in Collin County work in other counties. In addition, we have had some truely horrendous scandals in our judicial system and this system continues to employ a code of silence which protects unethical behavior. No honest person would knowingly stand for such behavior, certainly no democracy would. This has been well documented by the Collin County Observer. We continue to have CPS out of control so that good parents are losing their children. Collin County can't afford any more attention focused on its judiciary. By the way, most of the political leaders in Collin County have turned a blind eye to this misbehavior.

There has been plenty of fault to go around in Collin County. This has been the knife in the back of our form of government. As a Republican, I am ashamed of this behavior and I know the only way I can reform the party I care about is to expose the problems.

To the extent Collin County has been prosperous, it has been due to the excellent ethics of its common citizenry which have been successful in spite of our county government, not because of it.
10/27/08 @ 18:14
Comment from: Collin County Citizen [Visitor] Email
Bill, you make some good points in this post, but I continue to wonder how many of the "unaffiliated" voters that have voted in this General Election aren't just Republicans who stayed home in March because the Republican primary was not contested. Moreover, it seems difficult to believe that so many Democrats voted in March, and there are that many NEW ones voting now.

Just a thought...
10/27/08 @ 18:54
Comment from: anon [Visitor]
Actually, the Republican primary was contested. We had two competitive Republican county commissioner races and one Republican contested judicial position. This is some sort of record for Collin County.
10/27/08 @ 19:28
Comment from: anon [Visitor] Email
I think it is sad that we have become so party focused and lose sight of the issues. The national Democratic party is very different than the mainstream Democrats but it has become almost like a Longhorn-Sooner battle in that you can't be for some of the one and some of the other. On a local level, the candidate for Commissioner, Power, is a very good candidate but many independents have trouble voting for her as a Democrat because they see how the far left has hijacked the Democratic party. If you had say, five parties, with a "one" being far conservative and a "five" being far liberal, local Collin County Democrats would be around a "three" and have a hard time understanding that party out there at number five where Obama lives. It is shameful that we have lost sight of the issues. We need to understand that this world is three dimensional, not just right and left. Local independents and my Democratic friends want strong family values and understand that gay marriage attacks the religion of marriage that has lapped over into the government with marriage licenses, most are against government funded abortions, oppose wasteful government handout programs but understand the need for local streets and health care access whether you are legal or illegal. I have little interest in voting for a guy who toasts a PLO leader, hangs out with a couple who bombed government buildings, and has shown that he is racist. Just so you understand, I wouldn't vote for a white racist either. But I did vote a split ballot, supporting Ms. Power but voting for John McCain because I think he represents my values. That is why I can be an independent but voted in the Republican primary because many local races are decided there.
10/30/08 @ 17:58